You must be on the Pro or Enterprise pricing plans for the Freshchat integration.
This article walks you through the preparation needed from you in order to connect your bot in Ultimate's Dashboard to Freshchat. The preparation includes obtaining information from Freshchat and as well as initial setup.
First, obtain three pieces of information prior to launch day:
Afterward, proceed to the initial setup below:
- Step 1: Setup Welcome message
- Step 2: Setup assignment rules in Assignment Rules
- Step 3: Enable IntelliAssign
- Step 4: Configure Webhook
Name of bot and Agent groups
To get the names of the bot group and agent group, first, you'll need to create groups. This is because the chat routing logic is group-based. Therefore a group is needed for your agents and a group is needed for the bot itself. If you have multiple bots, then each bot would need to have its own group for chats to be routed properly.
To do so:
- Go to Settings > Groups in Freshchat dashboard
- Create a new group for the bot by clicking Add Group
- A new window pops up. In there, enter:
- Group Name. e.g. English Bot
- Description. e.g. English Bot Group
- Do NOT add the bot agents to this group
- Create another group for your agents by repeating the same steps above
- This is the group where chats will be transferred/escalated to from the bot
- Note the names down and send them over along with the API key to your Customer Success Manager after the initial settings are complete
Obtain API Key
In Freshchat, go to Settings > API Tokens
Click Generate Token
A new token should appear below API Key
Copy the API Key by hovering your cursor over it and click Copy
- Send this with the names of the bot group(s) and the agent group(s) to your Customer Success Manager so they can get the group ID for you
- Change the bot's avatar and name by clicking on the link below SEND AS.
- Freshchat supports .PNG, .JPEG, .JPG and recommends the image has the same height and width. e.g. 300px by 300px.
Different bots in Ultimate's Dashboard can share the same API Key
Step 1: Setup Welcome message
Freshchat doesn't allow us to trigger our default welcome reply. A conversation starts when a customer writes something in the chat, until then the bot cannot join the chat. We use the welcome message in Freshchat as the starting point of the routing logic.
Topics (Settings > Topics) on Freshchat allow you to route conversations to different departments and configure a welcome message for each topic. Topics are excellent for routing chats in addition to assignment rules.
- Go to Settings > Topics > Click Add Topic
- Add a name and welcome message
- Enable "Assign to a group" and select the bot group you created
- Click Publish
Step 2: Setup assignment rules in Assignment Rules
Go to Settings > Assignment Rules
Create a new assignment rule
Click Add New Rule and configure as follows:
IF message sent from channel > equals > new bot topic (the welcome message created previously)
THEN Assign to the bot group
Step 3: Enable IntelliAssign
- Go to Settings > IntelliAssign
- Enable Intelliassign by switching the toggle
Step 4: Configure Webhook
Go to Settings > Webhooks
Click Enable and enter the information below in the fields:
Failure Notification: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key things to remember
Note if you have multiple bots:
Bots can share the same API Key
Each bot requires a different Group (e.g. English Bot, German Bot, Spanish Bot)
Create separate Topics and Assignment Rules for each bot
Bots can escalate to the same or to different departments
- Bots can not hand over chats to other bots. Handover can only be done from bot to agent department