This guide is for those who don't have historical data on a platform supported by us. Here we walk you through how to import messages to our dashboard manually, using .tsv files.
Importing historical data helps the bot learn about your customers' behavior faster. Read more about the importance of historical data.
This is the same for ticket and chat automation.
Step 1: Download the import template
There is a data import template file, that contains examples, to be downloaded at the bottom of this article.
The file consists of the following parameters, separated with a tab:
- conversationId: Format is up to you. Messages in the same conversation should have the same conversationId. This makes sure different messages are identified as the same conversation.
- sendTime: Timestamp of the moment the message was sent. Format here should follow the ISO 8601 standard. For example: 2025-03-22T04:55:51+00:00
An easy way to do this is to edit in google sheets.
Select the entire column of sendTime
Go to Format > Numbers > More Formats > Custom number formats, and enter
- senderType: Can only have "agent" and "visitor". This lets the bot know which message comes from whom.
- text: The actual message that was sent
- agentId String: Identifier for a specific customer support agent. Used for agent statistics (Optional)
Step 2: Prepare your data
Add your data to the template. Make sure to follow the format specified above.
When you're done, save it as .tsv file.
Step 3: Import
- Go to Conversation Logs
- Click the three dots in the bottom right corner of the main screen and select "Import TSV"
Choose the file you prepared in Step 2.
Under Benchmark Model, select one of the following:
Industry Benchmark: Select this if your bot is brand new and you're just importing historical data. You will get an Impact Report.
Current Model: Select this if your bot has been running for a while and you want to gain insights on how you can improve your bot. You will get an Impact Report.
- Import Only: Impact Report can be generated later.
That's it! You can check the imported data in Conversation Logs.